Career Intermission Program (CIP)
Please refer to OPNAVINST 1330.2B for rules, eligibility, and application procedures.
See NAVADMIN 301/09 - Change to CIP application procedures, NAVADMIN 095/09 - Program announcement and timeline for more information, NAVADMIN 089/12 - announces the extension of the CIP program as authorized by the FY12 NDAA.
The Career Intermission Program, as authorized by the FY09 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), allows 20 Officers and 20 enlisted per calendar year the ability to transfer out of the active component and into the Individual Ready Reserve for up to 3 years while retaining full health care coverage and base privileges.
· Interested participants should submit an electronic application package to N134 Career Intermission Program Manager for consideration. Packages will be reviewed for eligibility and routed to the member's Detailer (PERS-4) and Community Managers (BUPERS-3) before final approval by Commander, Navy Personnel Command (NPC).
· Participants leave Active Duty and electronically "muster" for accountability purposes during their time in the program. Upon returning to Active Duty, the Navy will adjust the date of rank or time-in-rate for participants in order to compete in promotion boards with service members at the same experience level.
· Participants retain their full medical/dental benefits for themselves and their dependents, as well as NEX/Commissary benefits. Participants will also receive a reserve stipend equal to 2 times 1/30th their basic pay.
· There is no requirement to be at the end of EAOS to take part.
· OBLISERVE is required; participants will serve 2 months for every month in the IRR, participating in the CIP.
· Service members are eligible to use their GI Bill while participating in the program (provided GI Bill requirements are met), but not for Tuition Assistance.
Questions? Please contact the Career Intermission Program Manager:
LT Ashley Morrison, email@example.com