Command Managed Equal Opportunity Program
The objective of Command Managed Equal Opportunity is to promote positive command morale and quality of life by providing an environment in which all personnel can perform to their maximum ability, unimpeded by institutional or individual biases based on race, color, religion, sex or national origin stereotypes. Command leaders must create, shape, and maintain a positive EO environment through policy, communication, training, education, enforcement and assessment.
Command Managed Equal Opportunity is intended to be one of many commanders' tools for the prevention of unprofessional behavior and for ensuring EO goals are obtained. Leadership has the authority and responsibility to ensure that Navy Core Values are integrated into our daily business.
CMEO Managers assist commanders by:
- Serving as the coordinator for the command climate assessment.
- Coordinating and monitoring all command EO training.
- Ensuring formal complaints are submitted with established guidance and timelines per OPNAVINST 5354.1F.
- Maintaining CMEO record files for 3 years.
- Performing other EO-related duties as assigned by the commander.
- Periodically evaluate the CMEO Program utilizing the CMEO Checklist (contained in OPNAVINST 5354.1).
- Coordinating the processing of EO/SH complaints.
(Note: Personnel who manage the EO complaint process do not normally perform investigations due to the possibility of conflict of interest).
The instruction (significantly updated in 2007) provides a great opportunity for CMEOs to brief Commanders and personnel on the Navy's EO policy. Commands are encouraged to carefully read through the entire instruction. Some of the changes from the previous version include:
- Formal EO/SH complaints are to be reported under OPNAVINST F3100.6J guidelines.
- Forward a copy of all completed Formal Equal Opportunity Complaint investigations, with endorsements, to respective Echelon III CCS, via ISIC, for review. In the absence of an Echelon III CCS, forward to Echelon II CCS.
- Mandatory establishment of a Command Training Team.
- Mandatory establishment of a Command Assessment Team.
- Mandatory completion of Navy Pride and Professionalism training.
- Mandatory use of the "Triangulation Method" when conducting a command climate assessment.