1. This is a World Wide Web site for official information about the Bureau of Personnel/Navy Personnel Command (BUPERS/NPC). It is provided as a public service by Navy Personnel Command.
2. Information presented on this service not identified as protected by copyright is considered public information and may be distributed or copied. Use of appropriate byline, photo and image credits is requested.
3. For site management, information is collected for statistical purposes. This U.S. Government computer system uses software programs to create summary statistics, which are used for such purposes as assessing what information is of most and least interest, determining technical design specifications, and identifying system performance or problem areas.
4. For site security purposes and to ensure that this service remains available to all users, this government computer system employs software programs to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage.
5. Except for authorized law enforcement investigation and to maintain required correspondence files, no other attempts are made to identify individual users or their usage habits. Raw data logs are used to simply determine how many users are accessing the site, which pages are the most popular, and, from time to time, from which top level domain users are coming. This data is scheduled for regular destruction in accordance with National Archives and Records Administration guidelines.
6. Unauthorized attempts to upload information or change information on this site are strictly prohibited and may be punishable under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1987 and the National Information Infrastructure Protection Act.
7. We will not obtain personally identifying information about you when you visit our site unless you choose to provide such information to us. If you choose to send email to the site webmaster or submit an online feedback form, any contact information that you provide will be solely used to respond to your request and not stored.
If you have any questions or comments about the information presented here, please forward them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have a privacy question, or you know or suspect a privacy disclosure on this website, contact the NPC Privacy Officer.
Per directive M-10-22 (guidelines for Online Use of Web Measurement and Customization Technologies) dated 25 June 2010, the Bureau of Personnel/Navy Personnel Command (BUPERS/NPC) is allowed to use web measurement technologies to remember a user's online transactions in order to conduct measurement and analysis of usage or to customize a user's experience. This technology incorporates the use of Tier 2 Multi-session cookies where no personally identifying information (PII) is collected. No user information is gathered for a site user outside of the BUPERS/NPC website.
Below is an example of the information collected for Statistical Purposes:
xxx.yyy.com -- [28/Jan/2008:00:00:01 -0500] “GET /Defense/news/nr012708.html HTTP/1.0” 200 16704 Mozilla 3.0/www.google.com
xxx.yyy.com (or 184.108.40.206)-- this is the host name (or Internet protocol (IP) address) associated with the requester (you as the visitor). In this case, the requester is coming from the xxx.yyy.net address. Depending on the requester's method of network connection, the host name (or IP address) may or may not identify the user’s specific computer. Connections via many Internet Service Providers (ISP) assign different IP addresses for each session, or only connect to the Internet via proxy servers, so the host name may only identify the ISP. The host name (or IP address) may identify a specific computer if that computer has a fixed IP address.
[28/Jan/2008:00:00:01 -0500] -- this is the date and time of the request
“GET /Defense/news/nr012708.html HTTP/1.0” -- this is the location of the requested file
200 -- this is the status code - 200 is OK - the request was filled
16704 -- this is the size of the requested file in bytes
Mozilla 3.0 -- this identifies the type of browser software used to access the page, which indicates what design parameters to use in constructing the pages
www.google.com -- this indicates the last site the person visited, which indicates how people find the requested file.
Requests for other types of documents use similar information. No personally-identifying information is collected.
CLIENT SIDE OPT-OUT
Site visitors can opt out of web measurement and customization technologies by changing the settings of their web browser. Please refer to http://www.usa.gov/optout_instructions.shtml for general instructions on how to opt out.
DISCLAIMER FOR EXTERNAL LINKS
The appearance of hyperlinks on this page does not constitute endorsement by the Federal Government, the Department of Defense, or the Defense Information Systems Agency of linked web sites or the information, products, or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Morale, Welfare and Recreation sites, the Defense Information Systems Agency does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at linked locations. External links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this DoD web site.
Areas of this Server link to other Web Information Systems providing information which are operated by other government organizations, commercial firms, educational institutions, and private parties. We have no control over the information on those systems which may be objectionable or which may not otherwise conform to Department of Navy policies. Unless otherwise noted, some of the Sites listed within the pages of this server are provided by organizations outside the Navy Domain. These links are offered as a convenience and for informational purposes only. Their inclusion here does not constitute an endorsement or an approval by the Department of the Navy of any of the products, services, or opinions of the external providers. The Department of the Navy bears no responsibility for the accuracy or the content of external sites.
We are making every effort to comply with Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act.
Please bear with us as we make the necessary adjustments.
Thank you for your patience.
Administration provided by the
NAVPERSCOM Internet Support Branch
in Millington, Tennessee, USA.
The United States Government Information Locator Service (GILS) Record is #45469.