Safety Officer Duties & Responsibilities
- Serve as the focal point for all NPC safety matters including: Navy Occupational Safety and Health (NAVOSH) program; Traffic/Driving Safety; Recreation, Athletic and Home Safety; Fire Protection and Prevention; Heat Stress control, and Operational Risk Management.
- Conduct all mishap investigations within the NPC domain that are required to be performed at the headquarters level, and provide mishap investigation support to other NPC commands as required.
- Establish, coordinate, direct, and evaluate the effectiveness of NPC safety policies, plans, programs, and procedures.
- Conduct periodic safety evaluations and surveys of subordinate activity safety programs and procedures to determine the level of compliance with safety regulations, directives, and instructions; and to evaluate the effectiveness of safety programs and procedures.
- Interpret safety regulations and standards, and participate in the development of new or revised safety standards.
- Maintain injury/illness mishap data, analyzes reports, and initiate action to improve safety program.
- Increase safety awareness through appropriate promotional methods and channels of communication.
- Ensure consideration of OSH features in the design, purchase, or procurement of items where NPC exercises acquisition authority.
- Serve as NPC representative on safety councils, committees, and working groups established by higher authority and the private sector.
- Plan, develop, participate in, and evaluate employee safety training in coordination with cognizant training groups, offices, and organizations.
- Review and coordinate budget requirements, requests, and program objective memorandums for safety and coordinates safety budget submissions as appropriate.