Welcome aboard the Shore Installation Management/Special Career Path (SCP) webpage
Established in 2005, the SCP develops and utilizes selected officers to provide the Navy with a cadre of leaders with critical skills in key Navy mission areas; one being shore installation management (SIM) . The importance of SIM cannot be overstated, as we, under the direction of Commander, Navy Installations Command (CNIC), provide facility management and support services to the Fleet, Fighter and Family – the heart of our Navy. In doing so, we enable every aspect of the Navy’s mission globally in some way; whether from the waterfront or flight line operations to Sailors’ and families’ quality of life.
As the Shore integrator to sustain the Fleet, enable the Fighter, and support the Family through delivery of shore based operations and services. The priorities of shore management are to:
• Enable and sustain naval forces from the shore by designing, developing and delivering integrated shore capabilities in support of Fleet Operations.
• Shape our future shore design.
• Develop our, total workforce, and enable the Fleet to operate forward.
These capabilities must be sustainable and improve both shore and Fleet readiness,
To meet and sustain these priorities, the Navy, through SIM/SCP, seeks to develop officers with proven experience in shore installation management. These officers are the lynchpin which connects shore capabilities to Fleet operations and family readiness. Given the importance of this mission enabler, officers interested in applying for the SIM/SCP program, should consider past shore duty experience, and their ability to:
• Enable operational forces;
• Enable total force readiness;
• Foster and sustain relationships; and
• Manage all aspects of shore operations ensuring effective and efficient support to the Fleet.
While not required for application, the following job and educational experience are attractive and valuable to shore installation management:
• Any billet (ashore or afloat) pertaining to Antiterrorism/Force Protection, training, or personnel management
• Advanced educational degrees to include but not limited to:
- Business Administration,;
- Community Development;
- City Planning;
- Law Enforcement, or;
Officers selected to become Shore Installation Managers will follow, as best as possible, a career path shown in the below SIM/SCP Career Brief, leading to Command Ashore. Prior to being selected for command, each SIM Officer will complete a Command Ashore qualification program set forth by CNIC. (CNIC Command Ashore qualification instruction may be accessed via the below link.)
If you are interested in applying for the SIM/SCP program please contact your detailer.
SIM/SCP CAREER BRIEF
COMMAND ASHORE QUALIFICATION