NAVADMIN 136/17 establishes the Surface Warfare Officer Lieutenant Commander Retention Bonus (SWO LRB) for eligible SWOs. This program replaces the SWO Critical Skills Retention Bonus (SWOCS) and no new contracts will be signed under the SWOCS program.
A) Must meet all four of the following requirements:
1) Qualified and serving as an active duty SWO (111X)
2) Permanently appointed LCDR
3) Have at least 11 YCS, but no more than 12 YCS
4) Completed two afloat department head tours or a single longer tour according to the department head
sequencing plan as assigned by PERS-41.sequencing plan as assigned by PERS-41.
B) Must be sea duty assignable as defined by NAVADMIN 136/17 ref (C)
Officers with greater than 24 years of service (YOS) were previously ineligible for the SWO LCDR CSRB. Reference (b) now allows bonuses up to 25 YOS. There will be NO retroactive pay for officers who were previously ineligible.
Approved applicants will receive payments on the second, third and fourth anniversary of their promotion to LCDR.
-$22,000 ($12,000 for FTS) on 2nd LCDR Promotion Anniversary
-$12,000 (both AC and FTS) on 3rd LCDR Promotion Anniversary
-$12,000 (both AC and FTS) on 4th LCDR Promotion Anniversary
Three years; concurrent with any other obligation.
Submit your application via email (preferred) or snail mail.
Submit EMAIL applications with command endorsement to SWO LRB Managers –
Submit SNAIL MAIL applications with command endorsement to:
Department of the Navy
Navy Personnel Command
5720 Integrity Drive
Millington, TN 38055-4100
DO NOT SUBMIT DUPLICATE SNAIL MAIL/EMAIL APPLICATIONS
For those still under SWOCS Contracts the below information still applies:
SWO Critical Skills Bonus (SWOCS) agreements will be made available to all eligible SWO LCDRs. The program is designed to be an incentive, paying an eligible SWO LCDR up to 46,000 dollars to stay in the navy, and SWO community, through the fifteenth year of commissioned service (YCS).
NAVADMIN 326/02 (SWOCS announcement)
NAVADMIN 084/10 (SWO Bonus Program update - no more single-year contracts)
NAVADMIN 156/12 (FY 12 Revisions to SWOCS and SWOCP Programs)
- Qualified and serving as a SWO (111X)
- Permanently appointed LCDR
- Completed two afloat DH tours or single-longer tour as assigned by PERS-41
- Has not completed more than 25 years of active duty; will not complete 25 years before
the end of SWOCS contract
- Sea duty assignable (An officer not fit for sea duty on the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th anniversary
of promotion to LCDR will be ineligible for SWOCS bonus for that one-year period.
Should an officer who becomes fit for sea duty, they can apply for the next eligible
- An officer is not eligible to receive both SWOCP and SWOCS concurrently
- Officer currently under a single-year contract will not be eligible for further SWOCS
payments beyond existing contract expiration
PAYMENT SCHEME: Approved applicants will receive payments on the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th anniversary of their date of rank as LCDR, dependent upon when they apply.
- $22,000 at 2nd anniversary of LCDR
- $12,000 at 3rd anniversary of LCDR
- $12,000 at 4th anniversary of LCDR
OBLIGATION: Three years; concurrent with any other obligation.