Fully Qualified FAO
Requirements for designation as a Fully-Qualified FAO:
- Completion of Master's degree level of Pol-Mil/National Security Affairs type studies or documentation of a constructive credit waiver for the assigned AOR.
- Documented language skills in a major language of assigned region (minimum 2/2 as scored on a DLPT).
- Completion of (at least) six months in a FAO assignment or In-Country Training (ICT).
Lateral Transfer/Redesignation to FAO
Officers interested in redesignating to the FAO Community should visit the PERS-4801G webpage for general information and procedures relative to lateral transfer/redesignation boards.
FAO Application Requirements
All applicants must have:
- Overseas suitability screening completed (to NAVCENT standards)
- SF-86 completed indicating eligibility for TS/SCI clearance.
- Minimum of eight years of commissioned service (limited waivers granted by OCM on case-by-case basis for highly-qualified candidates).
- Minimum standard DLAB score (currently 95)
- Candidates should be within 18 months of PRD to be accepted as a FAO.
- Candidates must be available for overseas PCS at next PRD.
*Applicants with demonstrated language proficiency and/or a completed Masters Degree in a Pol-Mil/Foreign Affairs discipline are advantaged in the selection process.
QUESTIONS? Contact the FAO Community Manager.