Naval Special Warfare (NSW) selects a limited number of Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps (NROTC) midshipmen during their senior year. The board meets once a year. All candidtes must submit their packages by 01 MAR of year prior to commissioning, including DEC graduates.
All applications for NROTC midshipmen to become Sea, Air, and Land (SEAL) officers are processed by the Naval Service Training Command (NSTC).
• Regulations for Officer Development for NROTC, NSTC INST 1533.2A
(Ch. 5, Section 5-9 (d) and Ch. 6 Section 6-31(6))
• MILPERSMAN 1210-220 (Section 7)
• MILPERSMAN 1220-410
There may be instances where you find conflicting information on web sites and in documents. Contact the OCM if conflicting information affects the submission of your application package. As a general rule, trust approved Navy instructions, not web content.
• See Important Dates
Steps to Complete the Application Package for Summer Cruise and Final Selection
*Physical must be submitted in order to attend summer cruise (see guidance below #7/8)*
1. NSTC Service Selection Package: provided by NROTC unit.
2. Duty Preference/Recommendation: signed by NROTC unit commanding officer, to include first choice designator (1180 for SEAL officer).
3. Request for Naval Special Warfare Program.
4. Personal Motivation Statement: up to a one page (500 words) letter on why you want to be a SEAL officer. Beyond this general guidance, the letter is your chance to highlight your strengths, accomplishments, and experiences that enhance your application. It is recommended that you include athletic endeavors, specifically collegial sports played and leadership positions held, along with language expertise and cultural experiences.
5. Photograph: a color photo of the applicant in uniform—with or without cover and either full or 3/4 length—is optional, although strongly encouraged. Attach photo to the provided form and fill out blocks 1 through 6.
6. Report of Applicant Screening: PST Test Results Form
7. DD2807: medical history.
**EKG/ECG must be completed**
8. DD2808: medical exam stamped "PQ for diving duty".
**Dive medical officer signature is preferred but not required on physcial to attend summer cruise but is required for final accession into NSW**
9. No more than a total of (3) Letters of Recommendation (LOR) and Interview Appraisal Sheets are desired by the selection panel. See guidance below.
10. Official college transcript.
Physical Screening Test
• PST Requirements: 1220-410. Additional information on requirements.
• MANMED P-117 Chapter 15, Section 105 – eye requirements on pages 32 and 91.
*Visit FAQs page for specific guidance on preoperative refraction error*
The Hyperbaric Pressure Test for NROTC is given to selected candidates upon arrival at Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL training.
**Letters of Recommendation/Interview Appraisal Sheets**
SEAL Officer interviews (Interview Appraisal sheets) are no longer recommended to be part of the application for Unrestricted Line (URL) Lateral Transfer, Interservice Transfer, or NROTC candidates. SEAL Officer candidates in these categories should all have the opportunity to interview in person in front of the SEAL Officer selection panel.
SEAL OCM and others will no longer coordinate interviews for candidates in the above categories. SEAL OCM still encourages and will assist in the coordination of interviews for OCS and Restricted Line (RL) Lateral Transfer candidates if desired, as these candidates have a slightly different process for consideration. An interview appraisal sheet can be found here.
LORs should not solely be character references. These should be used as a tool to highlight your accomplishments, experiences, and leadership potential.
There is not a required format for LOR. Address all LORs to "President, SEAL Officer Selection Panel". Direct questions and mail completed packages to SEAL Officer Community Manager, in accordance with the guidance for package submission.