Lateral Transfer - URL
Eligible applicants shall be O-1 or O-2 at time of selection, qualified in a warfare designator and on permanent active duty throughout the selection and transfer process. The SEAL Officer Community Manager will determine and publish eligible Year Groups based on the needs of NSW. Applicants should work with their current command and the SEAL OCM to ensure packages are complete and properly submitted. The SEAL OCM will notify applicants of final selection. Candidates must be released from their losing warfare community and execute their lateral transfer within the FY (Fiscal Year) they are applying. Applicants must also ensure specific requirements for re-designation have been completed according to OPNAVINST 1210.5. Eligible candidates shall coordinate package submission with their chain of command.
• See Important Dates
Specific Lateral Transfer eligibility requirements
• Navy unrestricted line officer (AVN, SWO, SUB, EOD)
• O-1 or O-2 at package submission date: more senior officers do not have the ability to complete career milestones based on seniority.
**FY17 Selection Panel is targeting YGs (Year Groups) 2013 and junior**
• Qualified in a warfare specialty.
**Applicants may apply before achieving final warfare designation, contingent upon a letter from their Commanding Officer stating the applicant is on track to qualify before final selection (typically SEP of year applying).**
• Must be on permanent active duty throughout the selection and transfer process.
• Eligible for Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented Information (TS/SCI) clearance.
MANMED P-117 Chapter 15, Section 105 – eye requirements on pages 32 and 91.
• OPNAVINST 1210.5 - Lateral Transfer/Re-designation and Augmentation of Officers in the Navy
• OPNAVINST 1420.1B - Enlisted to Officer Commissioning Programs Application
• MANMED P-117, Chapter 15 - Manual to the Medical Department
• MILPERSMAN 1210-220 - Naval Special Warfare Officer (SEAL)
• MILPERSMAN 1220-410 - SEAL Officer Physical Screening Testing Standards and Procedures
SEAL Officer Application Contents
1. Application Letter for Lateral Transfer to NSW: example.
2. Commanding Officer’s Lateral Transfer Endorsement Letter.
3. Complete NSW Applicant Questionnaire.
4. Photograph: a color photo of the applicant in uniform at current rank—with or without cover and either full or 3/4 length—is optional, although strongly encouraged. Attach photo to the provided form and fill out blocks 1 through 6.
5. Report of Applicant Screening: example. The Physical Screening Test (PST) and pressure test is recorded on this form by a SEAL Mentor or officer at your command.
6. Resume or Curriculum Vitae is recommended but not mandatory. There is no specific format required. Include accurate contact information. If you have ever applied or competed to become a SEAL Officer, include date applied or competed and how far into the process you got.
7. Official College Transcript.
8. All FITREPS (NAVPERS 1610) to include any detaching FITREPS.
9. No more than two (2) Letter of Recommendation (LOR)
- The LOR should not solely be character references. These should be used as a tool to highlight your accomplishments, experiences, and leadership potential.
- There is not a required format for LOR. Address the LOR to "President, SEAL Officer Selection Panel". Direct questions and mail completed packages to “SEAL Officer Community Manager”, in accordance with the guidance for package submission.
10. DD2807: medical history.
11. DD2808: medical exam stamped PQ for diving duty.
**Submit Package to SEAL_OCM@navy.mil**
**Please encrypt any e-mails containing PII and ensure compliance of your command's PII guidance. If you do choose to send unencrypted e-mails containing your PII understand the risk involved**