Once a year during the summer a board of active duty Sea, Air, and Land (SEAL) officers selects a limited number of Unrestricted Line (URL) Navy officers (AVN, SWO, SUB, EOD) for re-designation as 1180 and follow-on SEAL training. The competition for the limited billets available is extremely competitive.
Ensure you work with your current command and the SEAL Officer Community Manager (OCM) to ensure you package is complete and received by the OCM by the deadlines outlined below.
There may be instances where you find conflicting information in the below documents. Contact the OCM if conflicting information affects the submission of your application package. As a general rule, trust approved Navy instructions, not web content.
01 March: Packages due to SEAL_OCM@navy.mil
**Please encrypt any e-mails containing PII and ensure compliance of your command's PII guidance. If you do choose to send unencrypted e-mails containing your PII understand the risk involved. **
September 2014: Selectees notified of board selection, but final approval from losing warfare community is required. The losing warfare community has up to one year to release selected applicants for SEAL training.
Specific Lateral Transfer eligibility requirements
• Navy unrestricted line officer (AVN, SWO, SUB, EOD)
• O-1 or O-2 at package submission date: more senior officers do not have the ability to complete career milestones based on seniority.
**FY15 Selection Panel is targeting YGs (Year Groups) 2012 and junior**
• Qualified in a warfare specialty.
**Applicants may apply before achieving final warfare designation, contingent upon a letter from their Commanding Officer stating the applicant is on track to qualify before final selection (typically SEP of year applying).**
• Must be on permanent active duty throughout the selection and transfer process.
• OPNAVINST 1210.5 Lateral Transfer/Re-designation and Augmentation of Officers in the Navy.
• OPNAVINST 1420.1B
• MILPERSMAN 1220-410
• MILPERSMAN 1210-220
Steps to Complete the Application Package: Navy officers that meet the above eligibility requirements send application package material to the OCM.
1. Commanding Officer’s Lateral Transfer Endorsement Letter: example.
2. Application Letter for Lateral Transfer to NSW: example.
3. Report of Applicant Screening: example. The Physical Screening Test (PST) and pressure test is recorded on this form by a SEAL Mentor or officer at your command.
4. DD2807: medical history.
5. DD2808: medical exam stamped PQ for diving duty.
6. No more than a total of (3) Letters of Recommendation (LOR) and Interview Appraisal Sheets are desired by the selection panel. See guidance below.
7. Personal Motivation Statement: up to a one page (500 words) essay on why you want to be a SEAL officer. Beyond this general guidance, the essay is your chance to highlight your strengths, accomplishments, and experiences that enhance your application. It is recommended that you include athletic endeavors, specifically collegial sports played and leadership positions held, along with language expertise and cultural experiences.
8. Photograph: a color photo of the applicant in uniform at current rank—with or without cover and either full or 3/4 length—is optional, although strongly encouraged. Attach photo to the provided form and fill out blocks 1 through 6.
9. Resume or Cirriculum Vitae is recommended but not mandatory. There is no specific format required. Include accurate contact information.
10. Last 3 regular FITREPS (NAVPERS 1610) to include any detaching fitreps in during the three regular reporting periods.
Physical Screening Test
• PST Requirements: 1220-410.
• Additional information on requirements.
MANMED P-117 Chapter 15, Section 105 – eye requirements on pages 32 and 91.
*Visit FAQs page for specific guidance on preoperative refraction error*
**Letters of Recommendation/Interview Appraisal Sheets**
SEAL Officer interviews (Interview Appraisal Sheets) are no longer recommended to be part of the application for Unrestricted Line (URL) Lateral Transfer, Interservice Transfer, or NROTC candidates. SEAL Officer candidates in these categories should all have the opportunity to interview in person in front of the SEAL Officer selection panel.
SEAL OCM and others will no longer coordinate interviews for candidates in the above categories. SEAL OCM still encourages and will assist in the coordination of interviews for OCS and Restricted Line (RL) Lateral Transfer candidates if desired, as these candidates have a slightly different process for consideration. An interview appraisal sheet can be found here.
LORs should not solely be character references. These should be used as a tool to highlight your accomplishments, experiences, and leadership potential.
- There is not a required format for LOR. Address all LORs to "President, SEAL Officer Selection Panel". Direct questions and mail completed packages to SEAL Officer Community Manager, in accordance with the guidance for package submission.