Eligible applicants must be O-1 or O-2 at package submission date. The SEAL Officer Community Manager will determine and publish eligible Year Groups based on the needs of NSW. Applicants must work with their current commands, Navy Personnel Command PERS-803 (NAVPERSCOM), and the SEAL OCM to ensure packages are complete and properly submitted. Applicants must also ensure specific requirements for re-designation have been completed according to OPNAVINST 1210.5. Eligible candidates shall follow the appropriate NAVADMIN announcing the Navy’s Lateral Transfer/ Redesignation Board
• See Important Dates
Specific Lateral Transfer eligibility requirements: information and instructions for the Restricted Line Transfer/Redesignation board supersedes information and instructions on this page.
• Restricted line officers
• O-1 or O-2 at package submission date: more senior officers do not have the ability to complete career milestones based on seniority.
• Qualified in a warfare specialty.
MANMED P-117 Chapter 15, Section 105 – eye requirements on pages 32 and 91.
• OPNAVINST 1210.5 - Lateral Transfer/Re-designation and Augmentation of Officers in the Navy
• OPNAVINST 1420.1B - Enlisted to Officer Commissioning Programs Application
• MANMED P-117, Chapter 15 - Manual to the Medical Department
• MILPERSMAN 1210-220 - Naval Special Warfare Officer (SEAL)
• MILPERSMAN 1220-410 - SEAL Officer Physical Screening Testing Standards and Procedures
SEAL Officer Application Contents
1. Application Letter for Lateral Transfer to NSW: example.
2. Commanding Officer’s Lateral Transfer Endorsement Letter.
3. Personal Motivation Statement: up to a one page (500 words) letter on why you want to be a SEAL officer. Beyond this general guidance, the letter is your chance to highlight your strengths, accomplishments, and experiences that enhance your application. It is recommended that you include athletic endeavors, specifically collegial sports played and leadership positions held, along with language expertise and cultural experiences.
4. Statement of Understanding
5. Photograph: a color photo of the applicant in uniform at current rank—with or without cover and either full or 3/4 length—is optional, although strongly encouraged. Attach photo to the provided form and fill out blocks 1 through 6.
6. Report of Applicant Screening: PST Results Form
7. Resume or Curriculum Vitae is recommended but not mandatory. There is no specific format required. Include accurate contact information. If you have ever applied or competed to become a SEAL Officer, include date applied or competed and how far into the process you got.
8. Official College Transcript
9. All FITREPS (NAVPERS 1610) to include any detaching FITREPS.
10. No more than one (1) Letter of Recommendation (LOR)
- The LOR should not solely be character references. These should be used as a tool to highlight your accomplishments, experiences, and leadership potential.
- There is not a required format for LOR. Address the LOR to "President, SEAL Officer Selection Panel". Direct questions and mail completed packages to “SEAL Officer Community Manager”, in accordance with the guidance for package submission.
11. DD2807: medical history.
12. DD2808: medical exam stamped PQ for diving duty.
**Submit Package to SEAL_OCM@navy.mil**
**Please encrypt any e-mails containing PII and ensure compliance of your command's PII guidance. If you do choose to send unencrypted e-mails containing your PII understand the risk involved. **