CSS Community Overview
CSS Rating Path
Culinary Specialists (Submarines) receive extensive training in cooking, baking, dining and living area management. Navy Culinary Specialists provide food service for admirals and senior government executives and run the White House Mess for the President of the United States. Responsible for all aspects of the dining (mess decks) and living areas, Culinary Specialists work in the “heart of the ship,” and are vital in maintaining high crew morale on the submarine and every shore base.
This rating has outstanding hotel and food service management skills training and development directly transferable to the civilian job sector, either at the end of obligated service or a full 20 to 30 year career. New and exciting career opportunities await the select group of people who possess knowledge and experience gained through Navy training. Of course, the longer you stay the more training, experience, skills, and benefits you will receive. These skills and training are in demand in both the civilian and military career fields.
The CS (SS) focuses on dining and berthing for personnel. As a CS (SS) you also play a vital role in overall personnel morale. Some typical duties include:
- Preparing menus and ordering the quantities and types of food items;
- Operating kitchen and dining facilities;
- Keeping records for food supplies and financial budgets;
- Serving as personal food service specialists on admiral’s staffs and for the commanding officer aboard ship or at shore bases;
- Operating and managing living quarters aboard submarines and work at shore based motel/hotel type quarters.