Applying for Retirement with Pay
1. Notification is forwarded in Applying for Retirement with Pay
1. Notification is forwarded in advance to advise you how to submit an application for retired pay at age 60. If you have not received notification four months prior to your 60th birthday, please contact PERS-912 by calling 1-866-827-5672. The earliest date retired pay may commence is your 60th birthday or the day after completion of 20 years of qualifying service, whichever is later unless early retirement is authorized under NDAA 2008.
2. The following forms must be completed in duplicate and returned to PERS-912 at the address listed below (original signature required on all forms).
3. Complete processing of an application normally takes several months. Please include your social security number on all correspondence. If you have a change of any information, before your 60th birthday, please report the update to PERS-912 by calling 1-866-827-5672 immediately.
4. Mail all forms with original signatures to:
Navy Personnel Command (PERS-912)
5720 Integrity Drive
Millington, TN 38055
Do not fax or email retirement with pay requests, original signatures are required.
5. Specific guidance and additional information may be found at Guidance for Submitting Application for Retired Pay Benefits.
6. If you are transferring to the retired pay status from a drilling status current policy requires endorsements from your chain of command.
Applying for Retirement without Pay
Applications for retirement without pay should be submitted per the format and timeframes listed in Figure 20-4 of BUPERSINST 1001.39F CH-1.
A sample of the Format for Requesting Transfer to the Retired Reserve can also be found on the Forms for Download page.
Applications for retirement without pay should be mailed to PERS-912 at the address listed above or faxed to (901) 874-7044.
The PERSemail@example.com address is NO LONGER VALID.
Benefits for Gray Area Retirees and Recipients of Retired Pay
As a Retired Reserve service member who has received a 20-year letter but has not received retirement pay, you may be eligible to receive gray area benefits. The following table shows these benefits compared to the full retiree's: Benefits for Retired Reserve Members.
10 USC 12731 has been changed to allow qualified Reservists to start receiving retired pay earlier than age 60. (See NDAA 2008).
Notification of Change of Address
Retired Reservists who will be eligible for retired pay at age 60 (gray area) and personnel on the Retired List (receiving pay) are responsible for keeping Navy Personnel Command PERS-912 informed of their current mailing address. If a temporary change of residence is planned and mail cannot be delivered promptly by means of the existing mailing address, the member should also inform PERS-912 of the temporary address at the beginning of the temporary residence period and of the return to the permanent address at the end of the period.
Contact PERS-912 by calling 1-866-827-5672 to update your mailing address.
Personnel receiving retired pay and former members must also notify the Director, Defense Finance and Accounting Service, U.S. Military Retirement Pay, P.O. Box 7130, London, KY 40742-7130, toll free number 1-800-321-1080.
Retired Pay Computations
The following USA HRC website may be used as a tool to perform an unofficial estimate of Reserve retired pay: Retirement Calculator. You are not required to enter your name to perform calculations.