Reserve Enlisted Administrative Separations
PURPOSE: promote the readiness of the Navy by providing an orderly means to:
- Evaluate the suitability of persons to serve in the Armed Forces based on their ability to meet required performance, conduct, and disciplinary standards;
- Maintain standards of performance, conduct, and discipline through characterization of service in a system that emphasizes the importance of honorable service;
- Achieve authorized force levels and grade distributions;
- Provide an orderly means of discharge for enlisted personnel.
PERS 913 IS ADSEP AUTHORITY FOR ALL ENLISTED SELRES SEPARATION REQUESTS. FTS/REGNAV ADSEPS are submitted to PERS-832
CO’S HAVE LOCAL ADSEP AUTHORITY WHEN:
(ALL must apply):
a. CO is an O4 or above,
b. Not under original MSO,
c. Characterization is HON or GEN
CO'S DO NOT HAVE LOCAL ADSEP AUTHORITY WHEN:
(only one has to apply):
a. Under initial eight year MSO,
b. Characterization of discharge is OTH
c. CO is an O3 or below
Due to new revised NAVPERS 1910/31(revision 06-15), the following is provided as guidance for selection of either Notification procedure or Administrative board procedures:
The Notification procedure button generate least favorable Characterization of service possible will be General(Under Honorable Conditions).
The Administrative board procedure button least favorable characterization of service will be Under Other Than Honorable Conditions.
MOST COMMON ADSEPS
Refer to Military Personnel Manual (MPM) 1910-010 through 1910-900 and DODI 1332.14 for all other ADSEP’s
COMMON ERRORS FOUND IN ADSEP PACKAGES WHICH DELAY FINAL DISPOSITION
- Supporting documentation missing from package.
- NRA submits ADSEP package to PERS 913 less than 30 days from the member’s receipt of ADSEP notification (MPM 1910-408).
- Letter of Transmittal being signed "By direction“, or not in the correct format. (MPM 1910-600).
- Other Than Honorable (OTH) separations conducted at NRA level without proper authority (BUPERS 1001.39F, Chapter 8).
- NRA conducting local ADSEP on members with MSO remaining (BUPERS 1001.39F, Chapter 8).
- MPM 1910-156 used for Unsatisfactory Drill Participation, use MPM 1910-158
- MPM 1910-124 used for personnel that fail to update the Family Care Plan Certificate, use MPM 1910-158 due to failing to respond to official correspondence. MPM 1910-124 should be used when a member has stated that they cannot execute the Family Care Plan Certificate.
- Incorrect NAVPERS 1910 submitted (i.e. 1910/32 used when characterization of OTH is or should be pursued).
- Incorrect or missing page 13 for Pattern of Misconduct ADSEPs (Must use the page 13 shown in MPM 1910-204).
- Missing Urinalysis Register on cases involving Drug Use.
- Missing Administrative Board Record of Proceedings (ROP) and findings/recommendations sheet when an admin board was held (MPM 1910-516).
- Records not properly screened for deployment to Hazardous Duty Pay/Imminent Danger Pay zone prior to processing for ADSEP (MPM 1910-702)
- Sworn affidavit is not included with ADSEP package when a member does not sign NAVPERS 1910/31 or 1910/32. A PS form 3800 and/or 3811 included with the package does not mitigate the requirement for a prepared sworn affidavit. (MPM 1910-408 & MPM 1910-412)
Processing time for ADSEPs
30 days from the date sent to PERS-913
Points of Contact
Regions: Mid-Atlantic (Great Lakes, IL and Norfolk, VA)
Regions: Southeast (Fort Worth, TX and Jacksonville, FL)