Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Commander, Naval Air Forces > Home > New Shipmates

New Shipmates



Need a Sponsor?

If you are a new shipmate with orders to Enterprise and have not been assigned a sponsor, send an email to with your name, rate and report date.

Mailing Address

Rate, First Name, Last Name

Box Number (Click HERE)

USS Enterprise (CVN 65)

FPO AE  09543-2810



BAH is not authorized for E-3 and junior and E-4 under 4 years of service.

Navy Housing - Navy housing for married personnel in the Hampton Roads area consists of several thousand enlisted units and several hundred officer units. Requests for application should be made in person or by writing the Housing Referral Office nearest your new duty station.

Housing Welcome Centers - Your orders require you to check into one of the Hampton Roads Housing Offices before you negotiate for off-base housing. They can help you locate civilian vacancies. The following are local Housing telephone numbers and their addresses.

Norfolk Navy Housing Welcome Center
1126 N Military Hwy
Norfolk, VA 23502, United States
Navy Housing Welcome Center
Navy Public Works Center
7924 14th St.
Norfolk, VA 23505-1217
757-445-2832 or 800-628-7510
Housing Welcome Center
Navy Security Group Activity, Northwest
1320 Northwest Blvd., Suite 100
Chesapeake, VA 23322-4094
Housing Welcome Center
Naval Medical Center, Portsmouth
845 Sterling Cook Street
Portsmouth, VA 23708-5100
757-953-5404, DSN 565-2832, 800-628-7510
Portsmouth Housing Office
Norfolk Housing Shipyard
129 1/2 Morning Side Dr.
Portsmouth, VA 23702
757-399-0611, DSN 961-7620

Housing Welcome Center
Naval Amphibious Base, Little Creek
2100 Independence Blvd.
Virginia Beach, VA 23455
757-462-7448, DSN 253-7448

Housing Welcome Center
Naval Air Station, Oceana
1201 Paul Jones Circle
Virginia Beach, VA 23460-5120
757-433-2195, DSN 462-7448

Relocation Assistance

Navy One Source is a new, 24-hour a day, 365 day a year information and referral program the military community can use to gain information on almost any topic, from child care to schools to relocation and much more. To use this system online, follow this link (user ID is NAVY and password is SAILOR). Navy One Source can also be accessed by phone. In the US, call 1-800-540-4123. Outside of the continental US, call 1-800-5404-1233 and international collect using 484-530-5914.

If you are an experienced mover, check out SMARTWebMove (SWM), an interactive web site at this link. Currently, personally procured transportation (old DITY) are not SWM eligible. Otherwise, personnel can schedule an appointment to attend a group session at the personal property office. If you need further directions to the personal property building, call toll free 1-877-619-8596.

The Fleet & Family Support Centers of Hampton Roads offer a 50-minute sponsorship training course designed to teach command personnel to serve as sponsors. Call your closest FFSC in Hampton Roads, or follow this link.

The FFSC also offers a Relocation Assistance Program (RAP) which provides the following services for military personnel and their families.

• Welcome to Hampton Program: Acquaints families with the Navy lifestyle, benefits, and other available services. Topics include: spouse employment, medical care, housing referral, financial planning, legal assistance, base police, Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society, and the Ombudsman Program.
• Hospitality Items: Card tables, high chairs, kitchenware and utensils, playpens, weekender beds, linens, and other items are available for temporary use until your household shipment arrives, Child safety seats are available at no cost.

The FFSC and MWR are offering a free 90-minute, narrated bus tour of Naval Station open to all military and their family members. Please call 444-2102 for times and dates.
Two services are available to assist with spouse employment. The first, Nexstep, is a Department of Labor funded pilot program for qualified relocating military spouses. The program provides employment-training funds to gain new job skills or to obtain certification, etc. To determine if you qualify, call Job Zone Nexstep at 757-461-7537.

All active duty members, dependents of active duty members, and retirees may make appointments for ID cards at the NEX ID center. To do so, please visit their web site and click on the icon for ID card appointments. Members may call 444-1150 if they have questions regarding appointments.

Hampton Roads

Enterprise is home-ported at Naval Station Norfolk, located in the Hampton Roads region of Virginia. Hampton Roads is a vast area consisting of several cities, including Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Portsmouth, Hampton, Newport News, and Suffolk. Hampton Roads is approximately 90 minutes from Richmond, Virginia and three hours from Washington, D.C. Interstate 64 (which transits the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel) is the primary thoroughfare to and through Hampton Roads. Several other highways intersect the area. Naval Station Norfolk is located at the end of Interstate 564. Virginia Beach, a popular tourist destination, is at the eastern end of Route 44/Interstate 264. Downtown Norfolk, also home to several local attractions including the Waterside District, Nauticus Museum and Harbor Park, is located off Interstate 264.

The climate is generally mild year-round, though temperatures can certainly reach extremes (0-100 degrees) during the winter and summer months respectively. The region is ethnically and economically diverse, offering a wide variety of recreational, educational, and professional opportunities. Looking for a degree? Old Dominion University, Norfolk State University, and Hampton University are just a few of the schools here.

Monthly property rentals in the area ranges from $300 for one-bedroom efficiencies to $2,000 for single detached homes. The average two-bedroom apartment goes for $650-$850. Commute times to Naval Station Norfolk vary greatly from different cities and depend heavily on traffic flow over local highways and through tunnels and bridges in the area. Plan on spending 15-45 minutes in your car for the drive to and from work, possibly a little more if there is an accident or road construction.

Schools & Childcare

To place a child in licensed child care or to enroll your child in school you must:

Have proof of immunizations against a number of contagious diseases.

Children entering kindergarten through seventh grade must:

Submit the child's birth certificate.
Have had a complete physical examination within the past twelve months.
Be age five on or before 30 September of the enrollment year.

If your child is in Special Education or has developmental disabilities, have copies of your child's Individual Education Plan (IEP) and any partial or completed evaluative testing performed by previous schools. The Navy Family Services Centers have Education Specialists who have additional information and phone numbers for area schools and community agencies. Call your local NFSC listed on the front of this pamphlet.

Some Hampton Roads area schools require that children rent or purchase their textbooks. The rental amount varies by school district or grade and must be paid upon enrollment. The rental amount varies by school district or grade and must be paid upon enrollment. The rental fees usually range between approximately $10 and $35 per year, per student.

Addresses and telephone numbers for the Hampton Roads cities' public school systems are as follows:

312 Cedar Road,
Chesapeake, VA 23320
144 Research Drive
Hampton, V.A. 23666
Newport News
12465 Warwick Blvd.,
Newport News, VA 23606
800 E. City Hall Ave.
Norfolk, VA 23510
801 Crawford Street,
Portsmouth, VA 23704
524 N. Main Street,
Suffolk, VA 23439
Virginia Beach
P.O. Box 6038
Virginia Beach, VA 23456
Williamsburg / James City
P.O. Box 8783
Williamsburg, V.A. 23187
York City County
302 Dare Road
Yorktown, V.A. 23692


Vehicle Registration

Due to the current security posture, base stickers are required to enter Naval Station Norfolk. Stickers can be attained at the Pass and Decal Office on Hampton Boulevard. The following documents must be presented to receive a base sticker: Valid driver's license, current registration, proof of insurance, and military identification card.
Virginia Driver's License - If you are an active-duty member of the Armed Forces and stationed in Virginia, you, our spouse and dependent children who are 16 years of age or older may drive with a valid driver's license issued by your home state or country. Vehicles registered in your name may be driven with valid out-of-state license plates. If you choose to register your vehicle in Virginia, you do not have to obtain a Virginia driver's license. Note:Your spouse and dependent children, if gainfully employed in Virginia, will be required to obtain a Virginia driver's license.

DMV Hours:
8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. M-F
8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. S
Central Phone: 757-461-1919

Or click here for the DMV web site.

Insurance - Applicants must present evidence or appropriate certification of compliance with the Virginia Motor Vehicle Responsibility Act. The insurance must cover the vehicle and the driver.
City Car Decals - Each Hampton Roads area city requires a city decal for automobiles owned by individuals residing within the city. Active duty personnel whose vehicle is registered
(title, registration, and plates) in another state are not required to obtain a city decal.
Military non-residents of Virginia wishing to obtain a Virginia title, plates, and registration will be required to obtain a city decal. The $15-$25 charge for the decal may be waived if the autom
obile is registered in the name of the military member alone. In order to obtain the waiver and the decal, the active duty person must submit one of the following: a current Leave and Earnings Statement (LES), a copy of the prior year's income tax return, or a letter from his/her command to the city treasurer's office.

Effective Safety Inspection Certificates - Vehicles registered in states having safety inspection laws must display current safety inspection stickers, either from the state of registration or Virginia. Owners with vehicles registered in states not having mandatory safety inspection requirements must present evidence of having been inspected by an authorized Virginia State Inspection Agent. Safety inspections in Virginia are required annually and cost around $10.